What’s the best gift you can give a senior citizen?
The answer might not be what you think. What we really want to do is find ways to help seniors live better, safer, and more fulfilling lives as they age. But that takes time, effort, and money. It also takes a willingness to think outside the box of conventionally accepted wisdom. The following are ten ideas for practical gifts that will make your loved ones safer, more comfortable, and more engaged in life:
1. Reachers can be a great item for seniors, as they can help individuals reach certain items like picking up clothes on the floor or reaching something in a cabinet that they may not be able to reach themselves.
2. Rollators are walkers that have a seat and come in very handy when seniors are walking long distances. The seat gives them the option to take a break whenever they need it, without having to search for a bench or another seat somewhere.
3. Mobility scooters are very popular among seniors, as they offer a great alternative for those who find it difficult to handle long distances. There is a variety of scooters on the market to choose from, including scooters that fold up and disassemble into 2 to 3 parts, which makes them easy to transport.
4. Photo phones are a great gift idea for seniors who may have difficulty remembering phone numbers. These types of phones have images of their loved ones, so all they need to do is push a button and they can call the person they want to talk to.
5. Pill organizers can be a helpful tool for seniors who are on multiple medications. This can help them keep track of their pills and ensure that they are taking them as prescribed.
6. Exercise peddlers are a great gift idea for seniors who want to stay active. This piece of equipment allows them to pedal with their feet or hands in order to increase blood flow and circulation.
7. Footstools can be a big help for seniors who have difficulty reaching things or getting in and out of bed. These stools are around 10 inches tall and provide a safe way for individuals to reach items or get in and out of bed.
8. A power lift recliner chair can be a great gift for seniors who have difficulty getting in and out of chairs. These chairs have a motor that helps to lift individuals, making it much easier for them to get in and out of the chair.
9. Lap desks can be a great gift for seniors who want to be able to work on their computer or read while they are in bed. These desks allow individuals to have a flat surface to work on, without having to get out of bed.
10. A doorbell ringer can be a great gift for seniors who have difficulty hearing the doorbell. This device amplifies the sound of the doorbell, making it easier for individuals to hear it.
These are just a few ideas for practical gifts that can help seniors live better, safer, and more fulfilling lives. It is important to keep in mind that each individual is different, so it is important to choose a gift that is appropriate for the person you are buying it for. If you are unsure about what to get, talk to the senior in your life or their caregiver to get some ideas. With a little thought and effort, you can find the perfect gift that will make a difference in the life of a senior.